Learn more about the North American holly that makes a lovely caffeinated drink!
3 things to know:
- Locals pronounce it “yoh-pon” (rhymes with “tow”) not “yow-pon.”*
- If you’re in the southern part of North America, it’s probably in your yard.
- Here’s what it looks like (ladybug for scale on bright green new leaves):
Foraging & fixing yaupon from our yard: our successful attempt! (w/pictures & a video)
Yaupon’s history (or “why don’t we drink it & why don’t we know about it!”):
Talking about yaupon:
- UC-Davis Global Tea Initiative: Video here
- Atlanta Botanical Garden: Virtual Science Café video here
* also known as cassina or asi